Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Typed Notes of Bob Woodward

See if you can spot something interesting in this part of Washington Post reporter Bob Woodward's statement derived from his appearance on Monday before Patrick Fitzgerald for the Plame leak investigation:

"I testified that on June 27, 2003, I met with Libby at 5:10 p.m. in his office adjacent to the White House. I took the 18-page list of questions with the Page-5 reference to ``yellowcake'' to this interview and I believe I also had the other question list from June 20, which had the ``Joe Wilson's wife'' reference."

"I have four pages of typed notes from this interview, and I testified that there is no reference in them to Wilson or his wife. A portion of the typed notes shows that Libby discussed the October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate on Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction, mentioned ``yellowcake'' and said there was an ``effort by the Iraqis to get it from Africa. It goes back to February '02.'' This was the time of Wilson's trip to Niger."

"When asked by Fitzgerald if it was possible I told Libby I knew Wilson's wife worked for the CIA and was involved in his assignment, I testified that it was possible I asked a question about Wilson or his wife, but that I had no recollection of doing so. My notes do not include all the questions I asked, but I testified that if Libby had said anything on the subject, I would have recorded it in my notes."

Did you catch it?

"Typed notes."

Unless Bobby brought his typewriter (in his pocket I imagine) to the Libby interview these aren't his original notes.

Why doesn't Bobby mention what happened to those original notes?

And the larger question: Did Patrick Fitzgerald ask about what happened to Bobby's original notes?

(Endnote: This appeared at the end of yesterday's post, " Bob Woodward is just like Judith Miller," but I thought I should single it out before movin' on. And special thanks to Susan G. for frontpaging a post about it at Political Cortex and all the readers who left links at various other blogs.)


|




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?